The heart is part of your body’s circulatory system. It is made up of the atria, ventricles, valves, and various arteries and veins. The main function of the heart is to keep blood that is full of oxygen circulating throughout your body. Because your heart is vital for your survival, it is important that you know some facts about it as you keep it healthy:
- The heart provides its own electricity for the blood pumping activities.
- The pumping pressure in the heart can shoot blood over 30 feet.
- The heart can continue beating even when it’s disconnected from the body.
- Averagely, a mature man’s heart is slightly heavier than a woman’s heart and a woman’s heart also beats slightly faster than a man’s heart.
- It ispossible to have a broken heart. It is called broken heart syndrome and can have similar symptoms as a heart attack. The difference is that a heart attack is from heart disease and broken heart syndrome is caused by a rush of stress hormones from an emotional or physical stress event. There is a rare possibility of it leading to death.
- The iconic heart shape as a symbol of love is traditionally thought to come from a plant.
- Averagely, the hearts of newborn babies beat faster than the hearts of adults.
- When you are resting, it takes 6 seconds for blood to travel from your heart to your lungs and back again, 8 seconds to go to the brain and back, and 16 seconds to go to your toes and back.
- Cells of the heart stops dividing to create new ones, this makes it extremely rare for humans to experience heart cancer.
- Laughing is good for your heart. It reduces stress and gives a boost to your immune system.
While these facts are meant to be light and fun, the most important thing to understand is how important it is to maintain proper heart health by eating right and exercising. Also, avoid things that can damage it, like smoking. You can maintain a healthy heart!
By: Saviour Okine